BARA BIRTH – WELSH TEA BREAD
Made with Pure Sri Lankan “Senok Tea”
This is a delicious tasting unyeasted bread made by soaking dried mixed fruit in black tea. Earl grey tea gives the bread a wonderful exotic taste too.
A Welsh recipe that is often served at Tea-Time and the slices spread with butter.
- ¾ pint or 425 ml.of black tea
- 1lb/450g of self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice
- 12oz/350g dried mixed fruit
- ½ lb /225g dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
Pre –heat the oven to 325˚F/170˚C/Gas3
Line and grease a 2lb loaf tin
- Soak the washed fruit in black tea for at least 12 hours or overnight
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and stir into the soaked fruit.
- Beat the egg and stir into the above mixture.
- Place the mixture into the tin
- Bake for 1 ½ – 2 hours, until a fork comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the tin for 15 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.
To serve: Slice and butter.
Recipe provided by Suzanne Beaumont- Davies